Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cp201i upgrade from 4 to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukoljoe

Technical User
Nov 10, 2008
PH
can i do callpilot upgrade from version 4.0 to 5.0 without the scsi cd-rom?

can i copy the image disks to a network drive, then load and perform the upgrade from a network folder?

procedure please.. thanks.

I agree with TNphoneman. I have used a mapped network drive to install languages during a Config Wizard but never an upgrade.

War Eagle!!

The upgrade requires you to load a ghost image of 5.0 on your 201's hard drive. You cannot load the ghost image from a mapped cd-rom.

You could put the 201 hard drive in a machine and load the ghost image from that machine.

You can run the process through a mapped drive. I did this once about 2 years ago, so my memory is vague, but during the boot process, instead of selecting the z drive, you can give the CP an IP address and point it to a mapped drive on the network. It's pretty cumbersome and it took me about a dozen tries to get it right, but it IS doable, you'll just need to use dome trial and error.

tnphoneman,

The upgrade comes with a ghost image of the 5.0 system split into 3 CDs. All of the required drivers are embedded in the ghost image already.

You just need to make sure that the BIOS of the 201i machine is at 6.0.3 or higher before you begin.

Sorry I read that as you were putting the hard drive in another PC not another callpilot. With the stripped down version you may not have the drivers needed.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

I did mean that (putting the HD in a PC, not a 201i) All you need is to be able to boot the PC into dos, access the CD-ROM, and run the image.bat file on the first image disk - that kicks off the process of installed the ghosted image of 5.0 on the hard drive.

Once the image is complete, put the hard drive back in the 201i chassis and boot it up. Windows starts and configures itself, then starts up the upgrade wizard.

I hate when people are so cheap they don't buy the proper equipment. I don't know about you but I don't carry a spare PC in my car for this. Sell it right the first time and you have less down time.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

you're right tnphoneman.. what if i have to go back??? if i messed this one up, big big problem!

also, i forgot to mention.. i would be impossible to restore data without the scsi tape drive.

And a network backup/restore is a WHOLE lot faster than a tape backup/restore.

War Eagle!!

I just upgraded 2 of my CallPilot 201i's from 4.0 to 5.0 over the last 2 weekends, and both upgrade kits came with a new hard drive, even though the new drive was identical to the one already in the servers.

Your recovery plan, is to simply re-install the 4.0 hard drive back in the 201i, and boot into service.

I just completed a 2.02 to 5.0 call pilot (201i)upgrade on the weekend. There was not a scsi cd-rom onsite and I did not have one available to me either. It took me quite sometime to figure out but it is possible to do the bios update and upgrade using a network shared drive. The process takes a little longer and is certainly not as easy as the cd-rom method but if you are in a jamb like I was here is what I did.

When you reboot the call pilot, say {Y] at the Boot Rom Dos prompt.
Select menu item 2, which says CLAN.
put in the computer name of your pc.
enter the ip address
enter the shared name of the folder on your pc where you have saved the phase1.bat and phase2.bat files.

Then assign an ip address to the Call Pilot and hit 0.
This will place you at the C:\ in dos.
Enter z:
Enter dir
and you should see the files.
At the z:\ prompt enter phase1.bat
and repeat all the above steps to run phase2.bat.

Once the bios update was complete I copied all three of the image cd's to another shared folder and I was able to complete the upgrade sucessfully.

Like I mentioned earlier this isn't the ideal way to do it, but if you are left without options it will work. Hopefully, this will save someone alot of time in the future...
~cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back