Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cox Software corrupts IE6.0 How do I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJorde

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
US
Cox Cable High Speed Internet vrs Windows 2000 & IE6.0.
After making the mistake of installing Cox's conversion software, I discovered the software was not required for internet access. I uninstalled it per the help desks instructions. This took my 128 Bit Cipher Strength down to 56 Bit. I fixed this by doing a "Windows Update". This brings me to what is still wrong.
Now my IE 6.0 which had a "Windows Update" button under "Tools" and a "MSN MGR Service" button are both gone.
Also, the top line on my browser says "Cox High Speed Internet" which tells me they have written something to my registry files. I would like that gone.
In addition, my network between this Win 2000 Pro machine and my Win 98 machine has been lost. It worked perfectly before their software was executed.
Can someone tell me the best way to do this without reformating the drive?

Actually all Cox did was take advantage of the IEAK (InternetExplorerAdministrationKit) This application is available via download from Microsoft.

With IEAK, YOU can set IE's default start and search pages, quick link pages, logos and even title bars (That's were Cox put its name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back