Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Covert to Big Volume Group 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
I have an Oracle database spread across 32 physical volumes. The volume group is a regular volume group at this time. And of course, I need to add more disks. So, I need to convert to a big volume group. I know the pre-requisite that requires at least 1 free pp on each physical volume. And of course I don't meet it. So, I am in the process of exporting, recreating the file systems and importing again.

My question is... Are there any more gotcha's? IBM tells me the command is simple, that it comes right back and I can do it while everything is online (of course I won't). I'm just a little scared being that this is all our data.

Thanks in advance,
Debi

Debi,

I had never had any problems with converting to large volume groups, it is quite painless, an that was also on an Oracle system. Chris Martin
pSeries Consultant

the messy way is to create another vg and stick your new datafiles over there.

i recently tried a reorgvg to try and get a free PP on each disk, didn't work very well, so i think you are doing it the best way. you don't need an outage to chvg, really. i've been migrating stuff between EMC frames lately using `migratepv`, no impact. the LVM is pretty solid. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

use the lmigratepp-command to migrate one pp to another disk
lmigratepp -g 00083498b458d407 -p 0008349864dfa765 -n 363 -P 000834980945d051 -N 230

options:
-g vgid
-p pvid(SourcePVid)
-n pp-number(SourcePPnumber; lspv -M hdiskxx)
-P pvid(DestinationPVid)
-N pp-number(DestinationPPnumber)

this command works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back