Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Covert Phone Numbers from number to text with brackets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LincolnMarkV

Programmer
Dec 22, 2003
US
Hello,

I have a phone number field whose type is number. I would like to convert it to text with the brackets and dashes being stored also. I know I have seen similar posts but can't seem to locate them now.

Please advise

Thanks,
Dave

Goto Table design. Next to the phoneno. field you can change the datatype to text. Then at the bottom, you'll see some properties. One is called Input mask. Click in the box next to Input mask and you'll see a button with three dots. Click on this button and it'll start the Input Mask Wizard. Select Phone Number click next, etc. In one of the screens you'll see to store the () and -'s. Select that option. After you finish the wizard, return to datasheet view and all the numbers will be formatted the way you want.
By the way, phone numbers, social security numbers are not designated as numbers. You don't perform arithmetic on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back