Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruel

Programmer
Aug 6, 2001
I have not spent as much time as most of you on open source etc. But FC 5 so far really gives some headache. Hope they are just trivial.
1) macro flash, java etc. I know most of you have them installed nicely and working. But I have tried many times. It is no luck. Java is a minimum. A problem makes FC5 essentially not useful for many websites. I know it could be a long topic. But there was no problem with the earliest FC version whatsoever.
2) This one might be easy for some. I minimize an application, it went into sleep. The processes are not ended, but I could not bring them back either.
3) Whenever I log in as root, last couple of days I got a message on the verge of logging like .mdrc and permission stuff.

I am thinking about change it to FC4, anyone has good comments if it will help.

Hi,
1)
Try this for Java:

Download Linux self-extracting file (jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin) from
Java's Site and save it to your home folder

mv jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin /opt
cd /opt
chmod +x jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin
./jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin
ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
The Java plugin is now installed Confirm with the command below that the sym links are green

ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

To run Java enabled applictions like limewire continue below

gedit /etc/profile.d/java.sh
Insert the following lines to the new file
#!/bin/sh
JAVA_HOME=/opt/jre1.5.0_08
export JAVA_HOME
JAVA_BIN=$JAVA_HOME/bin
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME:$JAVA_HOME/lib
PATH=$JAVA_BIN:$PATH
export JAVA_BIN CLASSPATH PATH
Save edited file
source /etc/profile.d/java.sh
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jre1.5.0_08/bin/java 2
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
You will see the following screen
There are 2 programs which provide 'java'.

Selection Command
-----------------------------------------------

*+ 1 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java
2 /opt/jre1.5.0_08/bin/java

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number:
Enter 2
test your java:

Flash:
Code:
yum --enablerepo=flash install flash-plugin

2) What do you mean by minimizing an application? When in graphical mode, you just press minimize button?

In terminal:
To bring a program to the foreground, use "fg" or "%". If you have more than one background job to choose from ("jobs" will show you), then use for example "%2" to choose the second one.

3)
Do not login as root, the chances of mess things up are to high. log in as normal user and then change to root if needed.

Regards Dan

Fedora Core 6 has been out for a few days now. Maybe you will want to upgrade rather than go backwards. I've downloaded and burned the discs but haven't installed them yet so I can't tell you much about it. From what I've read, they have done a lot of improvements. They have the latest version of glibc which is supposed to be much better and everything including gnome and kde have been recompiled with it making things much faster as well. I can't say if just upgrading will solve the problem but if you find a fix, why fix it twice? No linux browser has ever been real great at handling java but giant leaps were made with Fire Fox. For linux, I think it's the only way to go.

I know it's no comfort to you Cruel - but I too have had problems setting up Macromedia Flash, Acrobat Reader and Java to work with Firefox.
Still havn't got the Acrobat Reader plugin to work.

Thanks for the tips and experience sharing. As the FC6 comes out, I would like to try FC6 before I retry the java etc.

The background and foreground subject I was talking about is relating to GUI desktop (probably GNOME). I open an application such as MOZZILA or EXCEL, then I click the minimize icon, the app is gone into 'sleep'. I would expect the minized app will be on the PANEL, but it is not.

JAVA, MACRO FLASH were installed manually, I practically put them wherever there is a plugin folder for those apps. Nothing responded. Then I tried installer, I was told the plugins were already installed. Just don't do a damn thing. They worked perfectly on the original version of Fedora Core.

Why those apps do not come with the OS or with the MOZZILA that comes with the OS? What do I learn and gain by untar, unzip, and type the long binary file name every time?

Why not install Firefox and let it manage plugins for you? At least that covers Flash and bunch of other stuff. May not cover Java, but my guess is that it's more sensible to install Java for FF anyhow.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

That is a good question. I so far can not figure out what is the difference between the mozzila firefox (1.5?) that comes with FC5 (it IS called firefox) and the firefox you download and install yourself? I remember for the old version of FC, I did install firefox myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back