Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Couple of question ref. CPU types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy100

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
GB

CDROM-Guide forums

CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
Post New Thread
Welcome, cwyles.
You last visited: Yesterday at 08:50 PM

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out
Open CSec Data DevDrv CoOp Audio CDRW CDG VCD DVD Mac VGB PS2 DC Xbox

Advanced Search
Quick Links
Mark Forums Read
Open Buddy List
User Control Panel
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Subscribed Threads
My Profile

Preview
Hi

I've got the chance of buying a few cpu's pretty cheap, but I wanted to find out a bit more about the type, I've hunted around on the web and theres lots of stuff out there on them, but I could do with it in plain english!

The two types are -
Intel Celeron D 2.67GHz (330J) Socket 775 256Kb Cache
&
Intel P3 1.13GHz Socket 370 FC-PGA2 256Kb OEM Tualatin

Do both of these have to have special motherboards, ie. a standard Socket 370 mobo that the PIII coppermine would work on, won't work for the FC-PGA2 Tualatin chip?

And is the socket 775 anything like a 478 pin chip and would it work on that type of board?

Many thanks

Happy.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to paste in the top part in this forum! ooppps!!

Dont know much about the cel but the p3 is a great cpu wont fit on to many coppermine boards without a tualatin adaptor correction will fit just wont work makes a great upgrade provides a lot more depth than a coppermine cpu

Are you saying the adaptor will or won't work?

The 775 is a pinless configuration.. Very fragile looking. As far as I know it's not compatitble to any other socket type. The 775 was put in place for the up and and coming hyperthreading technology. I have a mobo that uses this socket and PCI-E video.. very choice I recommend the configuration.

It is questionable whether the Celeron D with Socket 775 is worth buying. You would have to have a motheboard with one of the newest chipset to run it. Usually the newest chipset just costs more. It is a personal decision you have to come to. Is the Socket T motherboard worth buying?

Personally if I was going to buy a socket 775 motherboard I would want a 800Mhz FSB Processor with 512k Cache to put on it. The Celeron is a 533Mhz FSB Processor with 256k Cache.

I have a tulatin core Celeron (PIII) and it is still running well for me. So a regular PIII should run great if you can locate a good quality motherboard for it. Since the Tulatin Core Processors ran so well, the motherboards can be a little hard to find. I think for the price of a Tulatin Core processor you can just buy an AMD Sempron that will run Faster.

I like the Intel chipsets for any Intel Processors.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Need a FCPGA2 adaptor to use a tualatin core processor on a coppermine FCPGA board also bios must have auto detect cpu voltage enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back