Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COUNTING TEXT FIELD VALUES ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 30, 2003
GB
I am attempting to count different field values [a], , [ua] from 14 fields. So far i have produced numerous solutions which fall just short of successful.

I have tried crosstab queries but i can't get them to total.
If anyone can think of a way to count text field values i would be immensely greatful.

Thanx

So these are numeric field types that you are trying to add up across a row?

No they are text fields containing various code such as [a], etc. on a look up wizard.

I need to total the number of each code for each person. if that makes any sense at all.

Thanx

It doesn't make enough sense yet to help you. So you have a record with 14 variant fields and you are trying to determine the count of fields that are populated?

basic outline; two tables one to many relationship.

table 1 = persons details
table 2 = persons timesheets broken down into hours(fields) and codes(fields) per half day.

i am trying to total the number of [a], a value from the codes field for each person.

Thanx

Closer. So you want to summarize hours where code = 'a'? Or are you attempting to get a count of records where code = 'a'?

to count the number of records where the code is [a]

OK.
For a specific lookup use: dcount("*","[table 2]","
Code:
='a'")
OR.... dcount("*","[table 2]","[code]='a' and [table 2].[ForeighKey]= DesiredPerson")

If you need sql syntax for same let me know.  Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back