Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting several seperate values for verification of formula 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tebber

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2002
GB
Really won't explain this well so sorry, but any help would be appreciated :)

I have an excel worksheet of collected questionnaire responses and need to calculate a value that is dependent upon the reponses contatined in several cells.

Thus, I need a formula that counts the number of "yes" responses in one row, and then proceeds to count the number of "yes" repsonses in another row, and so on. A "yes" response must be present in all 4 cells for that particular questionnaire response for it to qualify as a value of "1" in the calculation cell.

In context, A questionnaire respondent must have a "yes" response for the questions "owning a pc", "connected to the internet", "using email" and "possessing a website" to qualify as being counted in the cell I am trying to create at the bottom of the worksheet.

Sorry for waffling, but I don't know the terms for what I'm trying to do, or if its even possible :-(

Hi!

The result column should contain a formula similar to this:

=IF(AND(A1="YES",B1="YES",C1="YES",D1="YES"),1,0)

Supposing that your columns are in A, B, C, D

This would be for the first row.

Cheers!
Marcos.

hey,

I think i know what you mean. I would have a cell (possibly hidden in same colour as background with a formular such as.

=IF(AND(A1="Yes,B1="Yes",C1="Yes",D1="Yes",1,0)

If in the AND statement you put all the cells where yes has to be present for this cell to be a 1. Now if all these cells are yes then you can count this as a 1 if not it will be a 0.

Now when you want to add them up just do an =(then select each cell)

I would also point out if you dont want to see these 1`s and 0`s just colour the text the same as the background.

I think this is what you want. If it isnt sorry!!

HTH

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back