Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counting recordsets with no rows returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garabaldi

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
CA
I am currently pulling a recordset from a sql database. I am using the SQL Server 7 count function to count each record that is being pulled.

There are currently four criteria I am looking for. The data is grouped by date. If no rows are retruned then I need the count to return a 0. I need to know if this is possible. Right now, it is only returning dates with data in it.

The following is an example:

Select
date,
count (*) as Numbers

from
table 1
inner join table 2
on number

where
date between @startdate and @enddate and
territory = @territory and
code = @code and
org = @org

group by date, territory, code, org
order by date, territory, code, org

I need to know if there is any possible way to correct this in SQL without using external code. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Change your join to a LEFT JOIN rather than INNER.

--James

Oh, also you only need to GROUP BY date if that's all you're showing.

--James

I've tried that... its not working. What is happening is when those four criteria aren't met its just skipping that row. I need to it come back as 0 for that date.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Thanks

If there is NO record with a specific date, say june 9 2003, sql server cannot invent it.

You need a table containing all the dates. This can be done with a utility calendar table that is left joined or with a sub-query.

select calendar_date,
(select count(*) from xxx where date = calendar_date)
from calendar

Thanks very much for your help. It worked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back