Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Counters for PerfMon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurlach

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
GB
I've got a bog standard NT4 Server with a small registry, but that is holding lots of frequently accessed data. Ghost images, archives etc. amounting to around 70GB. The NIC is 100MB, it's patched to a dedicated 100MB port on a switch etc and is running at full duplex. However, access to the server (when ghosting, attaching etc.) has gone extremely slow. The server has been rebooted, latest drivers for the NIC have been applied along with the latest service pack. I want to run perfmon because even At the server it's slow. Does anybody know what counters would be best to monitor to check to see what is causing this sudden slowdown?

I think the first step would be to use Task Manager / Processes and order this using the CPU column to sort the active processes by utilisation, this should give you an idea if there are any processes over-utilising the CPU. It is also worth ordering the processes by CPU time, check here for any that show an excessive time here which might indicate a memory leak in the process.....

Do you regularly reboot the server.....this should minimise the possibility of memory leaks (or at least mask them..!!!)....hope this helps......

Thanks for your help - I'll give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back