Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count with VBA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene1024

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm developing a dinner registration form. One of the fields on the form is used for "Table number". I would like to write something that checks the number of guests seating at that table and if the number of guests has reached 10 return a message that says "This Table is Full". I'm also not sure which property of the field I should associate the event with, I was thinking of using "After Update".

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Rene.

Perhaps dlookup?
Code:
If Dlookup("NbrGuests", "TableName", "TableNbr = '" & Me.TableNbr & "'") = 10 Then
    Msgbox...
End If

Lose the single quotes if the TableNbr field is numeric.
I'd think BeforeUpdate would be a better choice.

Randy

Thanks Randy,

I don't know anything about programming, this is what my code looks like:
Dim strMsg
strMsg = "This Table is full"

If DLookup("NbrGuests", "Participants", "TableNo = '" & Me.TableNo & "'") = 10 Then
MsgBox srrMsg, vbOKCancel

I get Run time error 2751 "The expression you entered as a query parameter produced this error: 'NbrGuests'

Best,

Rene

Do you really have a field named NbrGuests in the Participants table ?
If not, you may consider the DCount function instead.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Still not working, I changed my code to:
Dim strMsg
strMsg = "This Table is full"

If DCount("TableNo", "tblParticipants", "TableNo = '" & Me.TableNo & "'") = 10 Then
MsgBox srrMsg, vbOKCancel

End If

Now I get an error that says "Run-time error '3464' Data Type mismatch in criteria expression"

Thanks for any help.

I would make the table number control into a combo box that would not display any tables that didn't have room. If you want further assistance, you should be providing the significant table and field names as well as the data types of the fields.

Your attempted code suggests TableNo is text.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

What about this ?
If DCount("*", "tblParticipants", "TableNo=" & Me!TableNo) >= 10 Then

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

PHV's suggestion worked great.

Best Regards,

Rene