Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count total number of lines in a text file 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

suoirotciv

Programmer
Dec 3, 2002
PH
Sorry, but i cant find a forum regarding this problem.
"How can I count the total number of lines in a text file?"

I need to read a log file, and upload it in a mdb file using visual basic. i already done this uploading codes. but my actual problem is that there are to many records in a log file that when i run my system, it seems to look hung, but actually no. so what i want to do is to add a progress bar that shows the actual progress, but i cant set the progressbar1.max property, coz i dont know the total number of lines.

can anyone help me on this

Please pardon the grammar.
Not good in english.

Thank you for all the good stuff and knowledge regarding my problem here . . .

so i just want to illustrate it more clearly . . .

-------------------------------------------------
since we have atleast 400 - 500 employees, and more than half of these numbers are allowed to use the internet. and now, one of the managers here require us to create an application that will check all the sites that a particular user go to, how long is the time he spends. this is to monitor if the user is using the internet wisely or just spend his time to no related site regarding his job (and for some other issues). so we are currently creating that module that read the log files that was created whenever a user go to a certain site (i'm not familiar in how internet works or how that log file was created, i just know how to surf). And Swi was right, that log file was delimited by Crlf. and the logs per line has no fixed length.
------------------------------------------------------

that's all i can share for this time . . .

but again, thank you all guys . . . for such an active support . . .

Please pardon the grammar.
Not good in english.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back