Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count to Display Zero if no value

Status
Not open for further replies.

corner40

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
CA
Hi
I have a list box that is displaying a count for each productID on a given date. What I really need to do is also display if the count returned is '0'. here is the SQL for the two queries that create the listbox

Original count query:
SELECT First(PackageComponent.ProductID) AS [ProductID Field], Count(PackageComponent.ProductID) AS NumberOfDups, BookingHead.BookingDate, ProductDescription.GroupTypeID
FROM BookingHead LEFT JOIN (BookingDetail LEFT JOIN (ProductDescription RIGHT JOIN (BasicProduct RIGHT JOIN (ActivitiesBooked LEFT JOIN PackageComponent ON ActivitiesBooked.PackageID = PackageComponent.PackageID) ON BasicProduct.ProductID = PackageComponent.ProductID) ON ProductDescription.ProdDescID = BasicProduct.ProdDescID) ON BookingDetail.BookingDetailID = ActivitiesBooked.BookingDetailID) ON BookingHead.BookingHeadID = BookingDetail.BookingHeadID
GROUP BY BookingHead.BookingDate, ProductDescription.GroupTypeID, PackageComponent.ProductID, BookingDetail.Status
HAVING (((Count(PackageComponent.ProductID))>0) AND ((BookingDetail.Status)="booked"));

ListBox rowsource:

SELECT q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack.[ProductID Field], q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack.BookingDate, q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack.NumberOfDups
FROM q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack
WHERE (((q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack.[ProductID Field])=122 Or (q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack.[ProductID Field])=123) AND ((q_ProdIDCountBasedonDatePack.BookingDate)=[forms]![f_weemax].[cbodate]));

Both queries work as expected, but I just need to be able to display a '0' if no record counted.

thanks
jeremy

Have you tried to replace this:
HAVING (((Count(PackageComponent.ProductID))>0)
By this ?
HAVING (((Count(PackageComponent.ProductID))>=0)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Code:
HAVING (((Count(PackageComponent.ProductID))>0)

this portion of your first query elimates all products that have a count of zero!!

I modified the first query a bit, perhaps it will give you the correct information:

Code:
SELECT First(PackageComponent.ProductID) AS [ProductID Field], Count(PackageComponent.ProductID) AS NumberOfDups, BookingHead.BookingDate, ProductDescription.GroupTypeID
FROM BookingHead LEFT JOIN (BookingDetail LEFT JOIN (ProductDescription RIGHT JOIN (BasicProduct RIGHT JOIN (ActivitiesBooked LEFT JOIN PackageComponent ON ActivitiesBooked.PackageID = PackageComponent.PackageID) ON BasicProduct.ProductID = PackageComponent.ProductID) ON ProductDescription.ProdDescID = BasicProduct.ProdDescID) ON BookingDetail.BookingDetailID = ActivitiesBooked.BookingDetailID) ON BookingHead.BookingHeadID = BookingDetail.BookingHeadID
WHERE BookingDetail.Status="booked"
GROUP BY BookingHead.BookingDate, ProductDescription.GroupTypeID, PackageComponent.ProductID, BookingDetail.Status;

Leslie

Leslie, modification for modification, why keep the First function on a grouped field ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Hi PHV and Hi Leslie
PHV I had previously tried changing it to >=0 but with on success.

Leslie, thanks for the modified code but it too did not work.

Any other information I might need to provide I can certainly do. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks guys. if I can get this figured out my day will be made
Jeremy

PHV, Didn't see the FIRST!!!! Don't know why your solution didn't work for him anyway!

Leslie

No one can come up with a solution. Help Please!!! You guys are all smart.
thanks for looking
Jeremy

corner40 - In your first query, use this SQL after the FROM clause:
Code:
WHERE BookingDetail.Status="booked"
GROUP BY BookingHead.BookingDate, ProductDescription.GroupTypeID, PackageComponent.ProductID, BookingDetail.Status ;
I don't see a need for the HAVING Count>=0 criteria because a count result will always be >=0.

John

If you are counting Count(PackageComponent.ProductID) and because of the left join, in some cases, there may not be a productID i.e. Null, then you could use Sum instead after forcing the nulls to a 0. This would give the same results and account for the nulls with a 0.

Sum(iif(PackageComponent.ProductID is Null,0,1))
AS NumberOfDups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back