Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Count Before Delete & Insert data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eselhassan

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi all,

From SQL Server I linked to an iSeries AS400 and everything works just fine. I can query the AS400 file/table with the following count statement:

select * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select count(*) from myFile/myLib')

I would like to use an IF statement first to check whether the AS400 file/table has data or not. If it has then the following statements follow:

Delete from mySQLtable
GO
Insert into mySQLtable(R1, R2, R3)
Select * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select W1, W2, W3 from myFile/myLib')
GO

And if the AS400 file/table is empty then nothing get executed and a message stating that would be nice. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can use the EXISTS keyword.
Code:
IF EXISTS (select * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select count(*) from myFile/myLib'))
BEGIN
    DELETE mySQLtable
    INSERT INTO mySQLtable(R1, R2, R3)
    SELECT * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select W1, W2, W3 from myFile/myLib')
END

SELECT COUNT(*) always returns a row. So it will always EXIST...

Can't you
Code:
IF (select * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select count(*) from myFile/myLib')) = 0
?

Alternatively you could argue that there isn't much of a performance overhead in doing a DELETE FROM Table if it's empty, so you may as well do it anyway...

Thanks to all for their response. I end up with the following:

Code:
IF (select * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select count(*) from myFile/myLib')) > 0
BEGIN
    DELETE mySQLtable
    INSERT INTO mySQLtable(R1, R2, R3)
    SELECT * from openquery(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'select W1, W2, W3 from myFile/myLib')
END

Now if myFile in the AS400 is empty I don't get mySQLtable in SQL Server updated. It did work just fine. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back