Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Couldn't use <filename>. File is already in Use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutestuff

Technical User
Sep 7, 2006
CA
hi,

I have a problem with an .mde file I put on our common drive. This problem just occured recently, as the .mde was working well before. Now occasionally when a user tries to open it is says, "Couldn't use <filename>. File is already in use." However, there is no .ldb file (normally there is). I do not know how to find out who has it open, or how to 'kick' the other person out or resolve this.

Anyone has any ideas? Please?
Thank you.

Sound like the file may be corrupt. Have you tried compressing and repairing this? You can do this like so:

1. *TAKE A COPY OF YOUR MDE FILE*

2. Open Access

3. Goto: Tools > Database Utilities > Compact and Repair database.

4. Select the MDE file to repair and then select Convert (Note: you can't actually convert a MDE but it will still repair this.)

And that's all there is to it!

Hope it works!

Nick

Hi jenica

I do not know how to find out who has it open, or how to 'kick' the other person out or resolve this.

The .ldb file can be viewed with notepad.

It tracks all users that open the .mdb, however...
It does not update when the users close the mdb...
So the .ldb only give's you a reference to who you have to track down...

You can safely delete the .ldb file as well! If the .mdb is not in actual use!!!
If it is in use the os will simply not allow it to be deleted.

Hope this helps...

AccessGuruCarl
Programmers helping programmers
you can't find a better site.

I am getting a similar issue with an A97 database. The original data file became corrupted so I have recreated a new file and imported the tables having identified & excluded the record that was in error.

Now I have my new file, I cannot delete the old as it is being reported as "being in use"

however,
there is no .ldb file in evidence
there are no users using other db's with "linked" tables back to the corrupted file
the server console does not show any open files connected with this db

Anyone know how I can get rid of this file?

Happiness is...not getting what you want but wanting what you have already got

Binnit, Your IT department should be able to kill off any connections to the file. you should then be able to delete it. Probably got a rogue reference from somewhere when it corrupted.

lordfidan
We found a few instances of this behaviour with other .ldb files all of which occurred around 22/03/07, we therefore rebooted the server and most of them dissapeared,those that wern't we were then able to remove by deletion.

Thanks

Happiness is...not getting what you want but wanting what you have already got

HI,

Just an FYI:

If someone or some application opens the Access 'MDB' file as 'Read Only', there will not be an 'LDB' file created yet the file is still open by the network so you can not rename or delete the main Access file.

Just a Heads up,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back