Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could we ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagles1

Technical User
May 14, 2002
CA
hi
i would like to know if we are able to ghost win2000server when is in NTFS. My partner say no but for me i'm sure we can do it.

thanks

i believe you can ghost an NTFS partition but the image has to be copied to a FAT partition.

headrush

Ghost will support pretty much all File Systems that you can install any MS OS on. NTFS works fine. Here's how I do mine...

1. Get & customise a boot disk from "Bart" at
2. Change your Source Server's name and IP address so that you can bring a "ghosted" server online at the same time as the original source server.

3. Boot your Source Server with this disk, and map a network drive to a fairly roomy share - NTFS or FAT is fine.

4. Have Ghost.exe on the share and run it from there to save space on the boot disk.

5. When you rebuild a Server with this disk, reboot it, rename it, change the IP settings and re-join the domain (using Netdom.exe from MS resource kit).

I use this procedure for maintaining a dozen Citrix Metaframe / Windows Terminal Servers in a farm to make sure they are identical.
Cheers,
Sam

Also the newest version of Ghost supports NTFS.

to ghost an NTFS hard drive, you must first use the sysprep utility , so it gets rid of all SIDs otherwise the ghosting will fail to run.
You can find sysprep on your Server CD, install everything you want to ghost on the server, make sure evyrthing is running ok, and then after that run sysprep. And do not start the server again. Just do the ghost after this step, and after the ghost you can run the server again. A+, MCP, CCNA Certified.

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back