Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could someone please help the moron (me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soltroy

Technical User
Sep 27, 2001
US
I figured out the file system full problem. Now I did another incredibly STUPID no no. I don't know what I was thinking but I added the date to the etc folder. Now it is stuck in this loop. I also cannot find any boot disks. How can I get this mistake fixed. The company that I work for doesn't have any service agreement so I don't have any help. PLEASE anybody. I am screwed until I can figure out where or how to get a boot disk.
Thanks

Go to the SUN website and get a cd image for Solaris 8. It is free. Get it for your platform (you have not mentioned if it is SPARC or x86), cut a cd, boot from it, mount the partition and change whatever you need to change.

Im not exactly sure what you did but some of this info may help you out.

get into OK promt: if your using a sun keyboard hit: "stop-a"
if your using a PC keyboard hit: "control-break"

once in OK promt, type:"boot -s", stop whatever process you started and then get into OK promt again.

then type: "boot -r" , the "-r" means to reconfigure, this should reconfigure your boot device.

after, if your back up, you would want to run a filesystem check by simply typing: "fsck", just answer "yes" when ever it asks if you want the system to fix a problem.

MikeM

hmmm....use fsck -y /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 or whatever u installed the boot partition to avoid a long series of prompting and questioning.....gee..

if the partition is screwed,

run # installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i` /lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

This will make your disk bootable...no need bootdisk loh..

Going to bed..goodnight folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back