Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could someone please convince as to

Status
Not open for further replies.

gussy1

Technical User
Dec 22, 2002
IE
Could someone please convince as to the reasons why XP Pro is better or worse than 2000 Pro. If I buy a new high-end notebook like the Alienware Area-51m, which OS should I go for?

XP with out a doubt in: IMHO

There's are so many reasons to take xp.. Stability is a damn good reason.. and it comes with lots of goodies that 2k don't.. I used 2k since the day it came out, I switched to XP and have been very satisfied... games, apps, movies, hacking, firewall, everything is better..
just my $.02

snooter "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Stability is no good reason - 2k is at least as stable as XP (and I'm increasingly inclined to think more). There is in fact little real difference between them in everyday use. XP is newer and will therefore be supported longer - so unless big price difference (unlikely), I'd go XP for that reason.

Ok.. since stability is not a reason, since your computer & the apps that run on it crashing isn't a reason, go with whatever.. from my expreience with XP, suites such as WordPerfect and Office run much much better and more error free (could that be stable?) than they ever did on win2k.. regardless.. xp is the way to go.. "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..

I just found this...this is somone else's post.. LOL

bigbenn (TechnicalUser) Jan 9, 2003
I have got a *Windows 2000* computer with Office XP on it. All office applications developed a problem when opening them where it would prompt with the error message: ?This Patch Package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer patch package.? I then tried to reinstall it, and got the same error message as soon as I start the setup, and Windows Insaller loads. So I can?t even get to the stage to uninstall it. I have run MSI Cleanup utility, and Office removal tool, but still am unable to remove, or reinstall office. Does anyone know what Registry key, or File I can delete to get past this error message.

Thanks
Benn
"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..

On some newgroups I frequent, XP is called Windows Mattel.
Pretty much defines the differences between XP and 2K.
2K is to me much more like NT than XP...and is a little harder for the average user to master than say, Win98. (Although the comparison shouldn't be made)
XP is the graphics Windows, to me. Turning off that part of it is common among system owners I've started with XP, as they soon pine for a familiar look in Control Panel and other areas.
WinXP is no homeowner's delight, tho, and there are lots of eye dee ten tee operators of all OS that'll wanta' go back to something they understand, even if it is an outdated/no longer supported version of Windows.
Back on your topic:
Have you considered the system you desire performance-wise would be le$$ co$tly/better performing if you dropped the mobile part of the equation?

WIN2k sucks for gaming, hogs memory and is cpu dependent. WINXP on the other hand, is less stressful and operates games with a large increase of speed. (Nvidia based graphic boards with a 25% increase)

Opps, forgot one other important factor. WINXP finds 95% of drivers being onboard or PCI slots.

Elw00d,

'WIN2k sucks for gaming, hogs memory and is cpu dependent'

sucks for gaming - no comment (not a gamer).
hogs memory? not compared to XP - XP is 2k with added bells and whistles - so it needs more resources.
cpu dependent? what computer doesn't depend on a cpu!

PS. Win2k finds 100% of drivers for our PCs - but XP should have a better driver base, its a newer version of NT.

There isn't much difference in stability besides the "bells & whistles" wolluf mentions. However, there are some features worth having in XP that you don't have in 2000:

[tab]- Compatibility Mode (letting apps run in different modes like Win95 for older apps)
[tab]- Faster boot times (on a PIII 800MHz pc, WinXP knocked off 40+ seconds on boot
[tab]time compared to Win2K with the same components & software installed)
[tab]- Integrated CD Burning (if that matters to ya)
[tab]- Remote Desktop/Assistance (very useful for connecting to other XP desktops)

These are just a few I can think of, but there are many more. Here's something directly off MS's site:

We've provided fixes to hundreds of applications that didn’t run on Windows 2000 Professional to run on Windows XP Professional...Users will experience increased application compatibility when compared with Windows 2000 Professional

Take the advice lightly with a grain of salt...
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

wow, it seems like everyone and their brother responded to gussy1's original post, but gussy never reposted. what i think gussy should do, since it was his/her post to begin with, is determine what predominantly it is that he/she is going to do with the computer and then research both operating systems keeping that use in mind. If he/she is going to play games, then gear more towards xp, but if networking in a small business or something, maybe consider 2k. "which is better?" is a very difficult question to answer. having used all versions of windows since 95 and several versions of linux and a couple unix flavors i can say that there are many similarities and many differences in all OSes. Which to choose is not something that someone else should tell you. it's something you choose on your own. but hey, it was an entertaining thread! lol.

Thanks everyone for opinions. I think it will be mostly programming, web design and games and not so much networking so XP does sound the best. From what everyone says, its the safe bet.

Cheers

sirskydive

Which to choose is not something that someone else should tell you. it's something you choose on your own. but hey, it was an entertaining thread!

All due respect...I don't think anyone disagrees with your viewpoint. However, gussy's question was very specific - compare XP Pro to 2000 Pro. The question wasn't as generalized as you put it. Had he/she asked to recommend the best OS of all OS's out there, then you'd have a good point. However, a few of the posts here explain the advantages/disadvantages of both, which is exactly what gussy needed to reach a decision. Not sure I see the problem in that...
[ponder] ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

REMEMBER WIN 95' DEAD AND GONE "Its just a memory NOW!!!"
Always use the best on offer. I have had the lot, XP is head and shoulders above the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back