Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could not start Crystal Management Service on Local Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gav12345

Programmer
Dec 4, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I've just installed Crystal Enterprise 10 (old technology I know) and the services failed to start during installation. I assumed this was becuase I wasn't logged on as domain admin, but even with a domain admin account for all services, I am getting the following error when trying to start the CMS:

Could not start Crystal Management Service on Local Computer
Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure

I've installed CE10 a few times but never seen this...any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Gavin

It means that it doesn't have the right information for loggin in to the CMS databse.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks Dell - But I'm not sure why not? The installation was normal and I have since manually configured the CMS to use the CE10 datasource (I get a message that this has beeen set up successfully), but I am still getting the same error. Any ideas why it might not be able to connect to the CE10 database?

I have installed this numerous times in the past but have just moved to a new employer...this is pretty much my first task and I'm not sure what is going wrong! Something to do with server privileges?

Thanks, Gavin

It could have to do with server privileges. What user ID are the services using? If it's the "local services" id, it could be that they don't have access to anything on the network. "Local services" is local to the machine where you're running the services. You may need to get a network ID whose password never expires (services ID) to use when running the services.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks again Dell. After a bit of messing around I think this was a combination of 1.) The Data Execution Prevention on Windows Server 2003 was preventing some servers from starting up and 2.) I think the domain admin account I'd requested for the Crystal services wasn't quite right.
When I disabled DEP for the Crystal services and used a different account set up as a local admin to log on, it seemed OK (unfortunately turned out it was a trial licence so we still don't have a working system!).

Gavin

Gavin,

I am getting the same results when doing a fresh install to a Win2003 server. I have disabled DEP. Can you provide some more specifics on the different account set up you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back