Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could Not Shadow Data on backup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTCINY

Programmer
Feb 25, 2005
US
Hello all. I am having an issue backing up a BCM 50 R6.0. When I backup to the BCM directly, I have no issues. However, when I try to backup to my PC, I get an error Could Not Shadow Data. When I check the alarm logs, I see the following Alarm ID 12021 Backup and Restore - Internal error. Could not shadow data. Obviously, this means that it couldn't create the backup but does anyone have any idea on why or what would be causing this error?

You hard drive could also be dying.

Try an FTP method.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The internal backup goes to /var/nn/pdr/backup, with a file name of pdr.bak

I FTP'd it to my PC, but was unable to open the file. You could likely copy this file back to the same location on a fresh hard drive and then restore it using Element Manager. Not of much help to the OP, but it might be helpful when replacing a crashed or corrupted hard drive and there's no external backup available.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Actually you have all been very helpful. I am trying to replace the BCM and they don't have a backup. I am going to try and FTP the backup file to a PC and then upload it. Thanks all I will update you when I get back to the site

I am having some issue getting into the BCM via Putty. Can anyone give me some guidance?

I found a site that generates the password of the day and I was able to get in. I have dropped the backup file and I am going to try and restore it tomorrow. I'll update

Success! I did a more in depth search and found the correct internal backup file. Look in the folder /var/shadow/cleartext/workarea for a file named backup.tar

I did an internal backup to my office system and copied backup.tar via FTP to my PC. I then copied backup.tar from my PC to /var/shadow/cleartext/workarea in a spare BCM50, logged in with Element Manager, and did a restore from BCM. It completed successfully and all my programming is now active in the test system.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back