Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could not open one or more attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fez

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2000
EU
Over the Christmas holidays I installed a new server and moved my companies Exchange database to it.

The installation and move went well. A small number of users are now complaining that when they click on old eMail messages with attachments they get the error message "Could not open one or more attachments". If the user clicks OK and retries to open the message the attachment(s)are there?

Can anyone explain what is happening? The old server did not have RAID, the new server has RAID 1 for DIR.EDB and RAID 5 for PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB.

I am running NT 4 SP6A and Exchange V5.5 Enterprise Edition SP3.

Does anyone have any answers to this old thread - we have just moved some mailboxes and are now receiving the same error.
Cheers,
P

Phlee,

No one has ever been able to answer this question, but the errors stop accruing after a few days.

Regards

Fez

If the OpenRetryDelay value does not exist, you must create it. To do so:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: OpenRetryDelay
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Decimal
Value: 5000

4. Quit Registry Editor.

This usually fixes the problem! Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Thanks for the replys.

Fez - had noticed when we had done this before that the problems do just seem to go away. However, have moved quite a considerable number of mailboxes this time and am hoping to get some sort of solution.

Xybertron - The OpenRetryDelay key exists but has a value of 2 (decimal). Could you please explain what this key does, and should I up the value to 5000?

Cheers,
P

Have found a botch fix for this.
If you move the mailbox back to the original server, and then back again to the new server, the problem is solved.
Not the greatest fix when you have hundreds of mailboxes, but the best we have at the moment.
From what I have found, this is a definite Virus Scan problem - we are running McAfee Groupshield and they actually have the problem stated in their support. Unfortunately the fix is too patch Exchange (already done)and reinstall Groupshield then run an On-Demand scan on all mailboxes - which takes a very long time.
Cheers,
P

Hi There

Have similar problem occurred today. Only affected some users and only affected certain mails, unable to open one or more attachments. Checked CA ETrust Virus scan log and it had stopped logging last night ! Checked log settings and this showed should be 5MB, keep 5 of them, BUT it had created two of 5MB and then stopped. Set size of logs to 10MB then rebooted server and all is now working again (all attachments which previously failed are now OK).

The common factor was that this was a recently moved IS/DS to another server and everything had been fine until now.

I am not sure if the AV thing is just coincidence or not, any comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back