Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Could not import the universe' message

Status
Not open for further replies.

cromilio

Programmer
Jan 10, 2007
FR
Hi, can someone help with this..

here's my story: I've created and used my universe for few days, exported and then imported on another PC to make my reports. Everything fine until now....I can still modify my universe and export it to the repository, did check it under supervisor, nothing wrong for me BUT I cannot import it anymore to other PC's from repository. When I copy it directly to the other PC it works.
Error message is 'Could not import the universe'.

BO version 6.5.1 (designer too)

Thanks in adv,

Are you using the same account on other PC's to import the universe?

Ties Blom

Yes I am, both are same, to make it bit more complicated one PC (with designer) is running NT4, the other (report) has XP.

Could be an 'out of synch problem'. Delete the universe from the repo using supervisor account and delete local copies elsewhere. Then export the local universe from your designer PC to the repo and see if this fixes the problem..

Ties Blom

Tried already, it didn't help either. Quite strange, I also created new test universe with only one table inside and it doesn't work. And I also have some other already existing universes that weren't modified for some time, those I can import without problem.

Can you export from the other PCs.

My guess is that something is missing from those machines that allow them to read/write to the universe domain.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

No, unfortunately the designer is installed on one machine only. However I've sent this problem to BO support, so we'll see...

Thanks,

That's ridiculous. Install Designer and try it. I think the problem is with your middleware on the client.

I can guarantee they will have you install it on another machine to see if it's specific to the one computer.

Steve Krandel
Symantec

I know, but that's how it works here. Only one PC with designer and we'll have to deal with BO support.

Thanks anyway,

So, what are you going to do when BO supports suggests that you install designer on another machine to make sure that this is NOT a middleware issue?
(strategy = elimination possible causes)

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back