Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could Not Copy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sera

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
US
Well I have searched everywhere. I tried searching Microsoft's website and I also tried google and google groups. I have seen numerous references to these errors and
nearly no responses. Let me start by saying that I think that I am getting these errors because I have some setting wrong in Windows 2000 Server. I am also getting the same errors on my other Windows 2000 Professional boxes. I get these errors when I am trying to copy LARGE files from my Unix server (using Samba) to my Windows machines. Can anyone help me stop these errors?

error 1: Cannot copy <filename>. The specified network name is no longer available.

error 2: Cannot copy <filename>. The specified network password is not correct.

Thank you so much for your help...
Sera
I often believe that...
My computer is possessed!

^Bump...I am just trying to keep this alive...maybe someone will see it that has the answer. Sera
I often believe that...

Are you loosing your network connection? how big are these files you are trying to move?

Leon

Hi!
Some times I'm having the same problem. I used to have NT4 server and I usually make my backups at night to a remote machine on another floor of my building. Now that I'm using Windows 2000 server I've started to have the same problem.

I have to make a backup of a +/-300 MB Database and sometimes when it reaches 80 MB I get the same error message you do. You aren't alone. (Long live Linux!!! ;))

Any tips??

I assume I am losing my connection (that is what the error states), but it is weird because right after I get the error I am able to grab a file of a smaller size (so the connection is seemingly still there). I am copying a huge folder that contains approx 876mb (only to debug the error stated above). The copy usually stops anywhere between 300 and 600mb. I am nearly 100% positive that it has to do with a timeout or a file size limit on my machine. My machine is a Windows 2000 Server.

Sera Sera
I often believe that...

Do you have all of the Samba updates and windows Service packs loaded? Are you using statin IP addressing or DHCP?

Leon

As far as I'm concerned, I have installed W2K SP3 and I'm using static IP (no DHCP) and DDNS (I'm using Active Directory).

Have you shut off the DHCP services? Some times DHCP will cause network drops. We had a similar probelm loosing network connectivity from time to time. We changed our hubs to switches that fixed that problem. If all of your hardware is ok it might be a good Idea to call a unix professional. I don't know a lot about Samba, We use telnet for transfering big files from our unix box to our windows bases systems.

Leon

I have all of the service packs loaded...I am currently checking on my version of Samba. I am pretty sure that this is not a Samba problem but it is always a possible avenue. I am using static IP, I turned off the DHCP client service and that did not change my error.

pgr - I have seen numerous posts from people that switching out the network card fixes these errors. It is very possible that in your case your network card is faulty. If you do solve this problem will you please post your solution, because I would like to see how you solved it.

Sera
I often believe that...

Ok Sera!

I'll let you if I manage to work around a solution.

Well I never resolved it. I stopped working on it because it was something I was doing as a favor and it was eating up too much time. I believe this error is very general and encompasses many problems. This is due to the fact that I have seen so many different symptoms, different operating systems producing this error as I am sure you have in your searches. This is a case of I wish windows would really tell me what is going on....

Sorry I can't help.

Sera
I often believe that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back