Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could not attach to Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
I have installed the Exchange client.

I can see the Exchange Directory, Exchange Information Store, Exchange mailboxes.

Both the Directory and the Information Store backup fine, but when I try and select the Mailboxes it asks me for the Mailbox name to attach to the server. I enter the mailbox that I setup using the Backup Exec account, but I keep on getting this error.

Backup Exec could not attach to this Exchange Server

Where am I going wrong??

TIA for any help on this one. mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Just curios have you created a unique mailbox for the exchange account? Its needed to attach to the exchange mailboxes.

You also must have this backup mail account listed in the global address list in order to select and see the individual mailboxes.

I have the exact same problem MOT98 describes. I click on MAILBOXES and i'm prompted for the name of the mailbox to attach to (with password ghosted). I enter the mailbox name but continue getting the error. I'm logged in as Administrator and BackupExec 8.6 has Administrator rights to the Exchange 5.5sp4 server.

Anyone have a resolution?

Thanks,

Mark

Microsoft Exchange System Manager component must be installed on the media server. This is in addition to Exchange agent being installed.

Try logging in as your backup service account and then select the mailboxes node. You may be able to attach afterwards. Also, make sure your b/u svc acct has it's own mailbox and it's functional.

I use to have this same problem months ago. To resolve I did this.

(1) Make sure the Exchange admin you have installed is at the latest service pack. If the backup server is on the same server as Exchange you are all set. If you have the backup exec installed on a different server you have to install the Exchange admin and make sure it is at the same service pack level as your exchange server.
(2) Install outlook 97 or outlook 98. I have read outlook2000 will not work (and I tried with olk2000 first)
(3) Created an exchange mailbox called "Mailbox Recover" and used the backup exec account as the Primary Windows NT account (This is the user name used for your backup exec services)
(4) For your outlook profile configure the profile for "Mailbox Recover"
(5) Try seeing if you can backup your mailboxes now.

I had this problem because I hid the Backup mailbox. Unhiding the mailbox fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back