Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could Mac's be slowing down my network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sndkick

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
We're running a Windows 2000 Server with some 2000 workstations and a couple Mac's. I'm not sure exactly how they have set up our network, but I think our Mac's are connected through PPP for some reason (any ideas why?). We have some shared folder on the server that both the Macs and our 2K workstations can get to, but the connection drags when accessing the server from the Windows machines and not the Macs. The Macs see no slow in connectivity, they're always navigating within the shared directory (and subdirectories) with not a hint of any collisions or problems. But our Windows 2000 workstations for some reason stick for a second when accessing anything at all on the server. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? This would make a little more sense to me if the Macs were dragging, but only the 2000 machines are witnessing problems. I apologize ahead of time for not knowing more about the network configuration as I have nothing to do with our network, but I'd like to at least throw some ideas at them as to how to solve this aggravating problem.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

are you still having this problem? (August 2001) ...............................
Thanks, Gary

We have a very similar setup. Win2k Server, Win2k Workstations and 2 Macs. The server is setup with Apple Talk Protocol. I didn't set it up but I know that the Mac's access the Win2k server via BootP, which assign's IP's to the mac's.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back