Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost of .NET 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skurpyun

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
Quick question,

is there a $$ cost to using the .NET framework on a commercial server?
I have been using it on my laptop just to learn ASP.NET and VB.NET. But now i'm being presented with the opportunity of coding for a live site and configuring the clients server from the ground up. So i know developing using .NET is free. But using it on a commercial server....free or not????

-sk

The framework is freely distributable from what I understand. Anyone can download it and install it on a pc without license or anything.

In fact, future versions of Windows will probably come with it bundled anyway, and I believe that the framework may be a windows update as well, so you shouldn't have problems with the framework.

D'Arcy

The only costs would be indirect - if you wanted to buy VisualStudio.net, SQLServer, antennae balls, etc. I use a free text editor (Crimson Edit 3.51 it's TIGHT) and mysql so screw you microsoft :p

Of course, running .net means you run your server on a microsoft os using IIS. They don't charge per se, but they do charge what, minimum several hundred dollars for an os?

I'd still say it's a bargain, though! If they start charging $2000 for windows I guess I'll go start working on a linux port for .net.

jfrost10, Socrates877,

thanks for the response. i can now make my client smile when i say the .NET framework will be free to use in a commercial environment....then watch that smile slowly fade awat when i give him the cost of a dedicated windows box and an MS SQL license. To be honest, i'd go open source myself and go the linux way....but what can i say, Microsoft rules the world....and i gotta pay the bills somehow. Thank you folks. and may the force be....err....sorry...got carried away there.

-skurpyun [afro]

How many users will be using your application?

If you REALLy want to make your client smile, you could look at using MSDE for your database. Its the engine that SQL Server runs...in fact, think of it as SQL Server without all the GUI interfaces...and its FREE. But there's a limited number of connections that you can have.

Just one other option anyway

hth

D'Arcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back