Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cosole error messages due to db with large # of records

Status
Not open for further replies.

shar

Technical User
Apr 2, 2000
IR
Last week when I started using a database with approximately 450,000 records, the console on our companies server started reporting thousands of error message with my workstation's MAC address. I do not know the exact error message, but it had to do with exceeding the max number of locks.

Our IT tried to blame a server crash on this. However, since I was monitoring the database program, I know the server never crashed or I would notice the lost connection to the server. Once this was relayed to them they claimed that the messages consumed a lot of server memory and therefore no one else could do any work.

Is what they are claiming true or are they just shooting from the hip?

Thanks for any comments and/or responses.

Sounds like you exceeded the maximum record locks set up in the AUTOEXEC.NCF file on the server.

Check out the Tech Doc found at
Click Knowledgebase then search for TID 10019363

I had a similar problem with a M$ Access Database.

Fortunately/Unfortunately (depends on how you look at it) I am both the programmer and the Network Admin for the IT shop so I knew I was the one that killed the server.

Troy Lawson
CNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back