Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corruption problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2001
US
I am not very familiar with Pagemaker, however being in the IS department it has become my problem. Our C&M people are having tons of troubles with existing files getting corrupted when they're open/closed with and without changes, saved as, etc.

The errors include:
duplicate
bad table index
not closed successfully
no mini saved version

The first thing Adobe cites is working on a document over a network causes some of these problems. I had our user work off her desktop for two days and she still encountered the errors.

Space and requirements are no problem. Pentium IV 1.8GHz, 512K, 80GB HDD, Windows XP

I changed there preferences so that it saves "smaller" as Adobe recommends.

I hope someone out there can give me some insight. Our network is Win2k Server, nothing fancy 100Mbs. We're a rather small office.

Thanks,

Bill

Is this PageMaker 7? Earlier versions are not compatible with XP. I can run PM 6.5 in my XP system but I run into odd behavior every once in a while.

Is everything being opened from the user's desktop (the PageMaker program, the PageMaker document, the fonts, the linked images)?

I'm sorry I can't belive I left out what version we are running it is pagemaker 7.01.

There are linked images in the document that are still on the network. Do you suggest that she copies anything that's going to be placed in the document first be copied to the same directory on the desktop? I guess this would definately rule out that there is network communication issues.

I also should add, I tried loading Pagemaker on my machine and encountered the same problems, I was trying to rule out it being a workstation problem.

Thanks

No, it's not a workstation problem, it is a location problem. If I try and link to a file on a network drive and not actually on my computer's hard drive, all sorts of nasty things happen, usually involving crashes.

My advice is that ALL files, including linked graphics, actually be located on the PCs hard drive. For backup purposes the PM file and all its linked graphics can be saved to a network drive (it's one of the choices in 'save as').

What is 'C&M'?

Thank you I'll tell her to give that a shot.

C & M- Communications & Marketing, I was just being lazy.

Hi, hbgpensfan,

This page from the PM KB sums it all up. If you follow everything here you won't go far wrong.

Recommended Workflow for Creating PageMaker Publications

PM is like me - past its sell-by date, set in its ways and objects to new fangled things like networks and mice with wheels. Filenames/paths with more the about 60 characters which include spaces may not be tolerated wither - hey, the 8.3 format was good enough for me in the good old 16-bit days.

I personally try to use only Type1 fonts in PM as well.

Iechyd da! John
20:15 05/03/03 GMT

The responders who recommended all linked elements should be resident on your hard drive are correct. This will resolve most of your issues. Additionally, use "Save As" as opposed to "Save" when updating your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back