Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corruption of index files

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepustilp

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
CZ
I have a question about index (ntx) files. I have a program written in clipper 5.3 which is used in the network. Sometimes the index files are corrupted and it affect new data. How it is possible, that the index files are corupted? How can I prevent from this issue?

Thank you
Petr

Sometimes when databases get big indexes corrupt.
Use the CDX index driver and you'll have much less problems.

Rob.

There is some useful info in thread288-505523

HTH
TonHu

Thank you for your answer, but I still don't have so big database. I have about 1000 record in the dbf file, which use to be corrupted. Can be some problem in the program or in the network?

It could be the network.
As I suggested try using the dbfcdx index driver which is much more reliable on networks too.

Rob.

Did you get the updates on Clipper 5.3 from CA? If not, better do that first. I don't use 5.3 but have it available, and recall something in the first or second update about index drivers being fixed.

HTH
TonHu

here are some thoughts...

is your dbf being opened with multiple indexes?
do you know when the corruption is occurring?
corruption usually happend when a dbf record is added or deleted without the particular index being open then once you open it, will report a corrupted index.

good luck

Hi
I experienced the same problem until I fix it coming ti CDX as suggested by rub444
R.

i had the same problems when my network had incompatible operation systems. For examble dbf where on w98 workstation and executable was is Windows Xp and vice versa. When i installed same operating system in both machines , everything goes fine.
Of cource in typical networks (w98 or XP workstations and w2000 server) i had no problems.

Hope it helps
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back