Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupting files after NW6SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cered

MIS
Dec 23, 2003
US
Hey all,

I have a Novell 6 network with brightstor 9 running on my main server (GPS-01). We just patched N6 to SP3 due to a "process failed to finish a job in less than a minute" problem. CA's database suggested that SP3 (for Novell) would fix this issue.

Now, we are getting some really werid problems, when we open a file in excel, excel reports "the formating is unknown." If we open a file in Word, we get a bunch of 0's. It is not all files, but the number of files is growing. Anything idea what is cauing this problem or how I might fix it?

Thanks

That's a common problem..

Patch it with NW6NSS3C.EXE, turn off OPLOCKS and File Caching. (It gives you the option at the end of the patch install)

Verify your NSS Pools and rebuild if you have any errors.

Make sure you get a full backup before doing any of those items.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

A Common problem? How can I tell which files have been messed up? or is there a way? What tool should I use for verifing my nss pools?

Thanks for the quick response and all the help!!

Yes. Very Common. Everybody has the same problems until they apply the post SP3 patch NW6NSS3C.EXE and turn those cache settings off. That should fix your problems.

After you have applied the patch, and you still have problems, you can troubleshoot further. However, I am pretty confident you won't have any further issues.

It's also possible that some of your compressed files are corrupt. You can run COMPFIX.NLM (included in patch) to check for that problem. Run COMPFIX from the console, then switch to the Logger screen. This will show you the correct syntax to use.

To verify your NSS pools, which I highly recommend, do a NSS /POOLVERIFY at the prompt. Do it after hours when you can take the system down. If any errors are present, then do a NSS /POOLREBUILD to correct them. I've seen some cases on SP3 where people have corrupt pools, and others where they don't. But it's always a good idea to check anyway.

Most importantly, make sure you have a good backup and apply that patch before doing any of the other stuff.

I'm not really answering your problem but just though to let you know that there's new release or SP for Brighstor it's 9.1 and you can upgrade with the same key as 9.0.

Start with Marv instructions first.

One more question, if you'll put up with it, when I apply the nw6nss3 patch, will it fix the files that it has screwed up?

Thanks

That's not a question that anyone can answer. But you need to patch it to make it stable, then you can troubleshoot further. In my experience, the files aren't really corrupt, just inaccessible.

And btw, Microsoft has problems with their oplocking technology too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back