Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted Vmm32.vxd file

Status
Not open for further replies.

4XXXX

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
GB
My daughters PC has a corrupted Vmm32.vxd file and she cannot boot up. I understand this can be replaced using prompt command. Can anyone give me some guidance on how this is done.

The system is ME with a recovery disk only.

Thank you.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, restart the computer with a Windows Millennium Edition Startup disk, and then perform each step until the problem is resolved:
Modify the WinBootDir entry in the Msdos.sys file to point to the correct location of the Windows folder.
Extract a new copy of the Ifshlp.sys file to the Windows folder and extract a new copy of the Imagehlp.dll file to the Windows\System folder.For additional information about extracting files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

If you determine that the Vmm32.vxd file is missing or corrupt, you must rename the file to Vmm32.old in the C:\Windows\System folder, and then reinstall Windows Millennium Edition to re-create this file.

Thanks Mrfixit for your response, got a little more information on the problem now.

The Computer has a Windows 98 recovery disk only and a Windows ME upgrade disk. It will not boot with a Windows ME Boot Disk but it will with a Windows 98 Boot Disk.

Questions:

Can I put the ME upgrade disk in the CD drive and extract a replacement for the corrupted file?

If not can I use the 98 recovery disk and re-upgrade without loosing data?

I'm assuming the original O/S is on a partitioned sectioned of the hard drive.

One other extreme idea I had, if all else fails, was to take out the hard drive and temporarily install it in my own machine as a slave and copy the data that way.

Any suggestions or comments welcome,

4XXXX.

Use your Windows 98 disk and boot your system. See if you can get to DOS. If you can go to Windows\system directory and see if the VMM32.vxd file is there. If it is there rename it vmm32.old. Yes, You can put you Windows ME upgrade in the CDrom once you get boot up. Then got to what ever drive it tells you the cd was mount on. Then do an install the VMM32.VXD is a created file.

Many thanks for that advice Mr Fixit, I wiil let you know how I get on.

4XXXX

Hello Mr Fixit and all,

Sorry I haven't been back to you sooner but I was a bit busy over the last couple of days. I'm pleased to say I have now resolved the problem with my daughters Computer. To save the personal data, not backed up, I connected the IDE Cable from the secondary master in my own Computer to the hard drive on hers, fired up both Computers and copied all the stuff on her hard drive to a CD-RW. I then restored and upgraded her Computer and copied the data from the CD-RW back to her hard drive. The only problem I have now is with her Outlook PST files. As you know Microsoft do a small back-up add-on for these files but as this was not installed I can see no way of importing them back into Outlook If anyone does know how this can be done I would be pleased to hear from them.

Many thanks for all the help and advice.

4XXXX

PS. I also exported the VMM32 Registry Key to a floppy, just in case.

4XXXX,

- Right click on the Root folder (Outlook today...)
- Select "Open the personals folder..." from the popup menu
- Locate PST file.

That should open the PST files in Outlook

-- AirCon --

I managed to resolve this problem by clicking the mail icon in the control panel and using the Outlook import facility from there. I simply selected "import from another programme or file" and directed the wizard to the folders location.

Thanks AirCon for you help, really appreciate it.

4XXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back