Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted SubKey in Registry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsa

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
Hey Registry Hacks!

I've been trying to install SP2 on my machine (Dell Inspiron 1100 with XP Pro) and been running into difficulties because some of the subkeys didn't have Admin permissions (can you believe that!!!)

ANYWAY... after I got those figured out, I went through it one more time and got another error... looked at my setupapi.log again and found the problem was the subkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.AudioCD ... okay fine... another one needing admin permissions.

ONLY this time, the second I touched that key, a different kind of error ... it has no data inside of it. I can't do anything to it. It's weird. It says simply, of course "Cannot open .AudioCD:Error while opening Key"

When I try to look at the permissions, I get another popup that says, "You do not have permissions to view the permission setting for .AudioCD, but you can make permission changes." And I'm logged in as Administrator!!!!

Of course, any changes I make doesn't take. What I want to do is remove that key. It has no information but I can't do anything to it.

How do I remove that irritating subkey so I can get SP2 on my machine??????????

ANYBODY?????

Mary :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Earth is my home and animals are my family. Life is my religion and love is my example. Peace and freedom belongs to us all.

Thank you Linney! That worked perfectly!!! It fixed my corrupted key and I was able to install SP2 successfully!!

That was the perfect solution!!!! [2thumbsup]

Mary :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Earth is my home and animals are my family. Life is my religion and love is my example. Peace and freedom belongs to us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back