Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garridon

Programmer
Mar 2, 2000
US
This has been a recurrent problem I have never been able to resolve. I have an index in one of my tables that corrupts intermittedly. When it corrupts, it does any of the following:

* Doesn't enter a record in at all
* Adds new records on a linked subform (the subform goes to a table with the department names in it--it adds department names)
* Deletes the record when the archive queries are run (an append and delete query)--but doesn't append it
* Triggers an Error 2105--can't go to a specified record
* Triggers an Error message saying that it can't create the record because it would create duplicate values

I have run repair and compact; imported the database into a new database; created a duplicate of the table and imported the records into it. All of these fix the problem temporarily, but the index continues to periodically corrupt. Is there anything else I can do to permanently fix it?

Linda Adams
Visit my web site for writing and Microsoft Word tips: Official web site for actor David Hedison:

how big is the database?
how many people are using it?
I'm sorry i can't realy help, but those that can will probably want to know those answers...

--Junior Junior1544@yahoo.com
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

What datatype is the field(s) that is being used for the index.. Is it an autonumber field by chance???

Joe

The database is a front end/back end one. The backend where the corruption occurs is just under one megabyte. There are about twenty users (in theory), but only one person who regularly uses the database. That user is also the only one who can add records; the others can only view them.

Yes, the field is an autonumber field. Linda Adams
Visit my web site for writing and Microsoft Word tips: Official web site for actor David Hedison:

That's tiddly, if you don't mind me saying so. Is the performance ok without the index. If so I'd be inclined to take it off.
I've never had any problems with autonumbers. Memo fields and replicated databases are a complete disaster. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Similar thing happened to me. It occurs on autonumber fields after a database is compacted - lovely little Access bug. This is fixed by applying the latest Office 2000 patches.. I believe it is SR-2 although it could be SR-1a.

I have dozens of Access databases out there and it happened on two before I know what was going on and hasn't happened since. I use autonumbers an all master tables as the link key.

Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back