Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupted Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalz

Programmer
Oct 31, 2000
US
Everytime I attempt to repair and/or compact a database (regardless of size) the result is a corrupted database where the format is unrecogonized or some of the system tables are missing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? We are using Access 97 SR-2 and haven't made any system changes in the time period where this started happening.

Thanks,
Janet

Are you compacting from an open database or
are you compacting from an open Access window with no database open?

If only one of the above has been tried - could you try the other option.

Does the database have user level security applied. If so are you sure that the Access Window was opened with the appropriate user security level Ie Open the target database and log in, then close the db but leave Access window open - You now know you have to appropriate security resident in the Access Window. After compacting - use the same opening procedure as before and log in again.

G LS

I have tried all of those options. I have even tried importing the data into a new database file. But that is resulting in a corrupted database after I close the database file. For all of these, when I login I am logging in as the administrator.

Any other suggestions?
Janet

I also tried using the JetComp.exe utility. And after this utility runs, the resulting database is also corrupt. My original database is not corrupt, but I am trying to compact it to eliminate the unused temporary space.

Please Help!
Janet

Are you attempting to compact/repair from the same PC each time, if so try a different computer. Also try defragging hard drive in case data is being stored in correctly on your computer.

Also are you running any VBA code in the background which might alter data in any way in your underlying tables, when the database if first opened.

Are you sure that you are using the correct version of access to compact the database, is it a Access 2000 database trying to be compacted in Access 97.

I copied the database to another computer and repaired and compacted it there and everything was fine. So thanks! Now I just have to figure out what is wrong with my computer.

I do have another question. I found some information on the Microsoft web site about the AccessIV virus. Microsoft offered an Access add-in to check for and repair the virus, but although the add-in says that it is installed properly, I can't get it to load into Access and get the following error: The add-in could not be installed because it is missing a USysRegInfo table. Has anyone else tried to use this add-in?

Thanks!
janet

Not tried this, but you'll find that most anti-virus software already has checks for the virus in them, so as long as PCs have anti-virus software, it shouldn't be anything to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back