Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt VB help files? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick46

Technical User
Sep 25, 2001
US
Does anyone else using VBA in Access have trouble with the help files in Access 2000? Very often when I use F1 to find help, I get a blank screen. Or if I do get a help screen, I get little placeholder square icons just under the main topic (instead of links to samples, properties, etc. that I used to get). Or I will get an error dialogue box stating a failure to run script with a reference to an HTML file.

I have tried to repair Office. I have removed and reinstalled Office. I have tried to look for help on the internet but it is too generic a problem that I cannot determine accurate keywords to search for.

Help! Anyone else having problems with Visual Basic help files?

Thanks,
Rick46

I had this problem on NT 4 operating systems. Any chance this is the case?

There are three service packs for Office 2000, have you applied any?

I am in a corporate environment and have no control over service releases. But no one else seems to have this problem.

Hi,

I ran into the same problem in our environment, we are on Windows 2000 with Microsoft Office Premium (whatever that means). I went thru the same things you are experiencing (having IT come over and Uninstall, reinstall, update, etc. with no luck). Finally, I "borrowed" the Office disk while our IT guy was working on another machine and guess what I found. A file stating that the Office installer doesn't install the correct files. The file I found was titled Access Help Files.txt (or this is what I saved it to my HD as) the following is the relevant message:
* MDAC Help Files Installer

Windows 2000 installs updated versions of MDAC DLL's, but
does not install the associated compiled Help files (CHM's).
Access developers rely on the information in these help files
as they work.

Developers can download a package from the Office Update
website that installs the correct help files and updates
the appropriate settings in the registry.

The help files in the package are:
* ado210.chm
* msjro.chm
* dao360.chm
* jeterr40.chm

For more information and to obtain the download package,
go to the Office Update site at:

Unfortunately the link doesn't actually take you to the appropriate place (or name the appropriate download), but this does show the files that are not installed. You can either copy these off the disk, or download them off the internet (I think I downloaded something about ADO and DAO as most of the help that I was missing was on using ADO in VBA).

Hope this helps, and at least you know you are not alone (I still have some things in the help files that don't have any info, but there are very few of these now).

Thanks,
Chris Huss
Central Washington University

Sensational!!

I have been watching this thread, as I've got exactly the same problem as Rick46 first mentioned. I'm also on Win2k with Office Premium and have had this problem for so long I don't even think about it any more!

So just wanted to say a huge thanks Chris!

Cheers
Nicola

Chris,
Here's another star! If I could, I'd give you a dozen.
Thanks for the excellent advice.

Tranman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back