Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

brk1221

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi, a user just called me and described a failed /Corrupt Win 10 upgrade. They get the desktop but nothing works! No start button, no right-click of start button, no store, no Cortana. Any suggestions on how to fix the upgrade or roll back to Win 7 would be very much appreciated

Thanks

The rollback is easy. As long as it has not been more then a month and you can actually get into windows 10 do the following

Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 7

Stry starting up windows 10 in safe more to see if you can get in.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

How would we get to Settings - Update and Security - Recovery screen.

Try starting up windows 10 in safe mode. That makes sure only the barest options in windows 10 is loaded.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I seem to recall this happening to me one upgrade.

It might have been a permissions issue on a folder but my memory of it is a little fuzzy.

ctrl-alt-del, task manager, kill off the currently running explorer and fire up a new explorer session.

Then this comes to mind:

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back