Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Shortcut icons on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

amg55

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2002
IE
Platform: Citrix Farm, Win2000, MetaframeXP,Office 2002,
Roaming profiles.
Problem: Intermittant corruption of desktop shortcuts for users. Shortcuts need re creating manually. Cannot see a pattern. The only change recently is the addition of SP4!!!
Have heard\read some problems with SP4, since installing it!
But have not seen anything to cause my problem.
Not all desktop icons get corrupt, today it might be Outlook, Tomorrow, Sap,

Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks

AMG55

Check the owner of the profiles and set them to <domain>\administrator this should sort out the problem.

The <domain>\administrator is already the owner, but thanks anyway.

It might be that users are doing stuff in c:\documents and settings\Default User or c:\documents and settings\All users

What I do to avoid some of this is to remove everything from these desktop and Start Menu directories. ( I try to limit the size of profiles)

You could get really clever and build a kix script to delete each users c:\documents and settings (for TS only) and then rebuild depending on group membership. I did it once and it worked pretty good. If you want I will give you the script.

Great Yeah, worth a try at this stage. Script would be good.
Can you post a copy here???

Thanks

It is a bit big.

e-mail me and I will send a copy

scotta@i-konic.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back