Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt master boot record

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
We have a Compaq Deskpro P3, the BIOS has a security feature that checks the MBR during boot up. We keep getting an error message saying the MBR needs to be restored. We then go through the restore/save utility in the BIOS, and it works fine, until the next reboot, where it always displays the same error again. If we turn off the security feature, we don't get the error message. We've tried using fdisk /mbr, have done a low level format using debug, then fdisk, reformat, still get same error.
We think the drive may be corrupt. There may have been a virus on it when we tried upgrading it from Win'98 to Win'200 with NTFS, which is not an easy upgrade to do.

Have you any other problems? If not I'd just turn off the security feature, IT may be corrupt.

But I'd also:-

- run fdisk /mbr (with the feature turned off in the bios - it may also be preventing update of mbr) from a write protected floppy that was created on a definitely boot sector virus free PC. For complete peace of mind, you could download a set of anti-virus rescue floppies (Trend certainly used to have a free download on their website - haven't looked for a while). Boot from rescue set and run boot sector only check (only boot sector viruses are going to cause this problem).
- run drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility (most have one on their website) to check the actual status of the drive.

Much appreciate your suggestions. I tried a new hard drive in that same computer and it worked OK, suggesting that the security feature is alright.
I'm interested in trying those other suggestions as well, and will follow up when I have the chance. Especially interested in the boot sector only check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back