Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Mailbox Store 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hads

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
AU
Hi all,

I am getting this error message (see below) when backing up with NTBackup. Can anyone suggest the best solution to either verify/repair the store or another course of action?

Server is running Win2K SP2 & E2K SP2. Any help would be appreciated.

<Error Message>

WARNING: Portions of &quot;\Mailbox Store (JEEVES)&quot; cannot be read. The backed up data is corrupt or incomplete.
This file will not restore correctly.
Backup completed on 21/05/2002 at 11:01 AM.
Directories: 4
Files: 4
Bytes: 1,081,758,382
Time: 14 minutes and 29 seconds

</Error Message>

Cheers.
[smurf]

Does it do this if you backup to bkf file?

Run eseutil /g (if this is clean do next step)
isinteg -s server -test alltests Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Hey bud, cheers for the input.

Its the same issue wether it is backed up to a file or a tape. It passes the eseutil /g without any errors and I have included the isinteg output below. Any pointers where I should ge from here?

Thanks again for the help.

<isinteg output>
Test Search Folder Links result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s);time: 0h:0m:2s
Test Global result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 1 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Delivered To result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 8 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Repl Schedule result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time:0h:0m:0s
Test Timed Events result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test reference table construction result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:40s
Test Folder result: 0 error(s); 65 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 1090 row(s); time: 0h:1m:56s
Test Deleted Messages result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Message result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 34002 row(s); time: 0h:0m:56s
Test Attachment result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 8720 row(s); time:0h:0m:7s
Test Mailbox result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 24 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Sites result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 94 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Categories result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Per-User Read result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 23 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test special folders result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Message Tombstone result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 124 row(s);time: 0h:0m:0s
Test Folder Tombstone result: 0 error(s); 0 warning(s); 0 fix(es); 0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:0s
Test reference count verification result: 0 error(s); 13 warning(s); 0 fix(es);0 row(s); time: 0h:0m:11s
Now in test 19(Row Count/Dumpster Count) of total 19 tests; 100% complete.

</isinteg output> [smurf]

Try the isinteg with -fix. I forgot to put that. You do have warnings. Dan

Yeah, I ended up doing that afterwards anyway (I forgot to put that too :)

Still get the same errors in the backup log though. I've actually just purchased BackupExec for this client but I don't really want to implement it till this is sorted.

My next idea would be to exmerge the data into a new database but I'm not sure if ther are any other steps I should be trying first?

Cheeers

[smurf]

I would exmerge A.S.A.P anyway, your naked right now, I wouldnt trust that backup. It's a small database so you dont have that much work on your hands. 01110000

I just had the same thing. We are using Tivoli, the event reported it could not back up one of the stm databases. I tried a few manual full backups and nothing. We are able to backup the log files. After building a restore server to test the last backup set. The backup started working after the the third full attempt.
I am not sure if I should trust the database or not.
I can manually do a full on the database as well now.
Any thoughts?

Sweet, cheers for the input guys.

I've actually created pst's of the database a couple of times this week, as you said I was naked, and I don't like being naked in public!

I just like to try all ways to repair things before going to the last resort as a matter of principal (makes me feel better for some reason)

I'll be having a go at it this weekend and if all else fails I'll just create a new db.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

hads
[smurf]

If isinteg didn't fix it you will need a new database.

Sorry :-( Dan

Hey bud,

I built up a new database a while ago by exmerging everything and that all went pretty smoothly apart from the clients (mostly 2002) saying that 'the location messages are delivered to for this profile has changed would you like to recreate the shortcuts' (or whatever it is, same as when you first set them up).

A couple of laptops had offline folders which got confused about permissions aswell but none of this was a major deal since it is a small office.

I moved them over to Veritas Backupexec shortly after and it was all running sweetly... for a while, just this week the veritas logs reckon that the individual mailboxes/messages are backing up fine and it can't backup the database. Weird.

I'm going to do an integrity check on the database again this weekend and see what's going on this time :)

Thanks for the interest. [smurf]

UPDATE:

I believe this is either a disk or controller problem, I ran 'eseutil /g' on the new(ish) database and it spat back at me:
----------------------------------------
Integrity Check Complete
DATABASE IS CORRUPT
----------------------------------------

Well then :)

I'll be doing some thourough testing and replacing of bits in the server this weekend. Joy, another weekend working.

Thanks again to both you guys that helped out.

[smurf]

Check application log for signs of -1018's during the backup. It sounds like hardware. Dan

Greetings,
I have the exact error going on with my Exchange 2k box. Unfortunatly, there are about 2500 mailboxes in this information store. This seems to have started when I had a hard disk failure. I have since replaced the hard disk drive, and it has rebuilt correctly. I am still getting this error tho.
What I would like to know is, can I run these afore mentioned fixes on my server while it is live? Will it adversly affect my mail delivery and reciept for my clients?
If I can't run it live, can you give me indepth advice on this?
Thank you very much for your input.
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back