Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt file causes InDesign to quit? (URGENT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhathymia

MIS
Feb 12, 2011
US
I was putting finishing touches on a project, saved, quit indesign, and when I tried to open the file not five minutes later, it made InDesign crash, and I can't open it. I've been working on my university's computers, since they have CS5, so admin settings won't allow me to make any changes to the hard drive, etc, and because it's CS5, I can't open it on my personal computer anymore since I have CS4. Is there any way I can recover this file? Or do I have to start over?

Anything helps! Thanks!

Hi

You probably have to start over if the file is corrupted there isn't much that you can do. Though this doesn't usually happen when you are shutting down after saving. It's more likely to happen when InDesign Crashes.

This won't help you right now but I'll point out that there is a Save a Copy button under the Save as Button.

I have't had this problem much in InDesign but it used to happen all the time in PageMaker. So I learned to always have two files for every job. Just hit the save a copy button every time you save the job.

If a file gets corrupted then you always have a backup to revert to.

For future reference this may be of use too...

Perhaps you could do this occasionally so you could work on your own computer.

Mike

Hi again.

One thing you could try is to see if you can open the file on another school computer running CS5, it's worth a shot.

Mike

Thanks for the info everyone! It's been helpful--Luckily, our reprographics had a fairly recent edit from our test run, so we were able to get the file back from them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back