Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Display with New Hercules 3D Prophet GeForce 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediLuke

Technical User
Feb 2, 2002
US
I just got my new Hercules 3d Prophet III GeForce III card in the mail. I pop in the card, start up, put in the CD. First problem, the CD won't spin up, just makes these screeching sounds in my drive, and won't be read. No problem I think, so I install the latets NVIDIA detonator drivers. Now I get these weird display anomalies all over my screen, all these pixels of random colors, mostly vertical greenish lines going down my screen. They change when my display changes, but everything is spattered with these weird pixels and hard to read. I tried two different monitors, no luck. Put my old card back in, it works ok. Tried the drivers from the Hercules site, same problem. Any advice? Please help! Here's my system:

Win98
PIII 800
A-bit BE6 II
412 MB RAM
Hercules 3D Prophet III
20 GB Western Digital HD

~Jedi

ok mate!, remember to unistall the drivers, then delete any key from registry pointing to drivers and carefully delete any file pointing to the card(for example, those that start with nv*...)

also, have you contacted Hercules?...

Thanks for your post!

also, those detonatorX drivers dont seem to work under old OS... ive read some post about nVidia cards and problems under win98/ME using DetonatorsX drivers!...

Yea, tried that... uninstalled all drivers, installed the standard PCI VGA driver, then I tried the newest Hercules Driver and the one before that, still no luck. Tried calling Hercules, their tech support is only Monday - Friday. Anyone else have any advice? This is a real pain. Thanks,

~Jedi

Is that mainboard an AGP 2X rated ?

Me thinks you have OLD hardware that won't handle the new GF3.

MAINBOARD SPECS:

> Supports AGP 1X/2X (Sideband)3.3V device

This could be a real issue here.

ALSO: What power supply to you have ? (you maybe maxing out your OLD 250 WATT P/S)

ALSO: WHAT is with the 412 RAM ?
> That makes no sense,,,,,,, I assume you might have meant 416 ?
384 + 32 = 416

**** IF YOU HAVE AN OLD STICK OF 32 MB in your system:
** DUMP IT ** remove that

It's just possible that your OLD mainboard with the AGP 2X and lower voltage AGP slot will NOT power that GF3.

Make sure the card is seated properly. Check your agp aperture size in bios. Does your motherboard support agp4x? I don't know if the GeForce3 will work in an agp2x slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back