Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartsimpson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
GB
I have a corrupt disk on an Exchange server. My problem is that I want to back up one of the EDB files, but Windows is giving an error : 0x8007045d .

The disk failed last night, and I have managed to get it running by cold-starting the server. Seems it isn't quite right, as I can't access the files. Windows did run a chkdsk on system start to "help" me, but this isn't always a good thing from experience.

So, I'm trying to get a couple of files from the broken disk. Suggestions gratefully accepted.

Little bit more information may be required.

Is your server running any kind of Raid?

What are you trying to back the EDB up to?

is exchange running?

Cheers

Unfortunately, the server isn't running any kind of RAID.
I want to move the EDB over to the C drive for now, just to get it working. Will then think about setting up a proper spec server.
Exchange is running, just can't mount the mailstores.

This is why I just want to recover the two EDB files from one disk to another.

Thanks for the help.

HI,

I'm assuming that the C:\ drive is a differant physical disk that the one the edb is on not just differant partitions?

If so are you logged into the server as administrator as that error can be caused by wrong permissions.

I'll also assume that you have no current backup?

You could try and copy the database using

Eseutil /Y but i have never done this myself (see below)

Cheers

Try in the Exchange forums. if the file is corrupted then there may be some way to recover the data (or part of the data). IIRC, if you have a good backup and your backup is configured to truncate the log files on backup then you should be able to restore the file from backup and replay the log files (.STM files, I believe) to restore the data.

I don't have the details handy, but the gurus in the Exchange forum should be able to get you there.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

The reason that I'm on this forum rather than Exchange is that it's the disk that is U/S, and first step is to be able to copy the file off the disk, which I can't currently do.

I may then have to hit the Exchange forums.

All assumptions so far are correct.

I have tried various file recovery programs, but all fail. I think that I'm now faced with the fact that the disk is indeed dead, it's just that I can ( frustratingly ) see the contents. Fortunately, all users are using Outlook 2007, which caches the email. I think that we will just move to a hosted provider.

Once again, thanks for all help that has been offered.

If the disk is dead then you can restore from backup and replay the logs. Unless you don't have a backup, in which case I shudder to think about the user rage you may be facing.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

I don't have backup. Just taken over the server.

FORTUNATELY there are only a small number of users, and all have a local cache copy of their email in an Outlook 2007 OST file. phew.

Bart...

Check out 123together.com, have a number of small clients on theit hosted Exchange, easy setup, very good tech support.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back