Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcmark

Technical User
Nov 2, 2002
US
I think that my database may be corrupt. Here are the symptoms:

1) The file size of my database has fluctuated enormously over the past 2 days (from 2.5MB - which is normal - to 8.0MB to 28MB and now back down to 6.7MB. There has not been any meaningful activity during this time

2) I am getting an error "You Cancelled Your Previous Operation" every time I try and run a certain report (and it will not let me even edit the report anymore)

I have never run into this serious of a problem before. What can I do to save or recover my database? (the compact and repair tool does not have any effect). Is the problem generally with the tables or just the forms? Any help would be greatly appreciate.

The easiest solution, is to create a blank database, and import all your objects from your corrupt(?) database, and see if this resolves the issue (don't forget if you use linked tables to re-link them rather than importing from the corrupt database).

Thanks! It worked. I am finally moving forward again.

One word of advice. Backups! Make sure you have a good backup strategy in place for your Access Databases. Additionally, you (or the users') should Compact/Repair the database on a frequent basis.

Even though I have my production databases on a Network Drive, I am still paranoid. I backup weekly to my PC, so I have a recent live copy. Then monthly, I burn a CD. Network Tape backups have let me down before, so better dafe than sorry.

htwh,

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back