Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrupt Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdegeorge

Programmer
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi:

I have a database that, as of last night, was working just fine. Today I'm able to open the database and all the objects are there, but I get a corruption message whenever I try to edit a form's EVENT PROCEDURE, any MODULE, any QUERY, and some other functions.

All the data is in the tables, but I can't do anything.

The message tells me to REPAIR, and I've hit that blessed button dozens of time to no avail.

Does anyone know what I can do besides recreate the whole darn thing? I've got my LAN folks getting me a copy of last night's LAN backup, but just in case. Thanks!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Jim

The best solution is using the Jetcomp.exe which is usually stored in the windows\system32 folder. If not download the latest from Microsoft.

This is a useful tool for repairing any database. Try on a copy first. Quite straight forward to use.

Good luck.

Peachmelba

Peachmelba

I already tried that and it didn't work. Even downloaded the new version from Microsoft. Still waiting for my LAN folks to respond to my "emergency" situation...it's been over 2 hours! Some emergency!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Hmm. I've been linking to this a lot, but the /decompile command-line switch works wonders:

If you want, you can try some other things (import all objects into a new MDB file). They're all listed at the FAQ linked to below, (curiously enough, both the FAQ and the decompile page were written by the same guy ).

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Foolio12

Thanks, but I tried that one too. Saw it in another posting. It's now been almost 3 hours and my LAN folks haven't responded. I'm glad it wasn't a medical emergency...I could have bled to death by now waiting for them. lol (not)!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Jim

Any luck with the database??

Would be interested in how you got this one solved.

Peachmelba

Garridon/Peachmelba

I tried jetcomp, compiling, importing/exporting to blank databases, etc. Nothing worked. I was able to get a backup copy from my LAN folks from the prior day, so I only had to re-create 1 day's work. I'm very thankful.

Since then, I've inserted a module that automatically backs up the database when closing, and if during that process the MDB is 10MB or more, it will compact it before making a copy. This, of course, was code from one of the FAQs here and on MVPS.

Thanks anyway!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back