Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correlated Event Action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenSNut

MIS
Oct 21, 2002
US
I'm hoping other people have had this problem. Can you fire an action such as email based on a series of events or time window?

For example: A UPS goes up and down due to power fluctuations. Can you only send an alert when it stays down for say 10 minutes? I have set an alert in the event for UPSonBattery but it emails every time the power blips.

We have NNM 6.2 / W2K, only one server. I looked at Event Correlations but they are only for managing the Alarm Browser entries.

Thanks for any help!

Suggestion:

Write a script that when you receive a power down alarm, do an email notification on time +10 min if you do not receive a power up.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I am pretty new to NNM. Is there a reference to help with writing scripts for NNM? For example: where would the script look to know that a power up event occurred? Would you use Perl for the script?

I have some perl scripts that I use when certain alarms happen. You can call any script (ie Shell, perl, binaries) for any alarm. I call mine in the event configuration under the options main menu. If you click on an alarm it brings up a window in which you can add a Command for Automatic Action. That is where I put my script/executibla. Writing a script in your case may be a little tricky, but I think it could be done.

Blue

Thanks again Blue for the help. Yes, I call a perl script now for email for certain events. That was pretty easy since it fires when the event comes in. I'm not sure how to have the script "watch" for other events and then email based on criteria. I guess that is the reason 3rd parties have expensive add-ins!

It's nice to hear from other NNM users. Thanks again.

TSN

One suggestion:

Do a sh shell script using the at command.

If the alarm you are monitoring has a clearing alarm then write to a log file for the clearing alarm. When the alarm down happens, run the shell script using the at +10 minutes. At 10 minutes do a check on a log file to see if an alarm clear is there. If the clear isn't there, send the email.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back