Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

correction: whats gone AFTER the clean boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISP
Dec 28, 2002
CA
sorry, meant to ask what's left on my OS after I clean boot Win98

Clean boot as usually mentioned in software installation instructions simply means to shut down your computer, turn it off then turn it on and restart it. You will of course lose nothing. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

thx for reply, yes i just learned that it is basically restarting the system w/o applications starting up. although i also learned that my upgraded IE6SP might go back to IE5 (that was a forever download, twice). and also that my norton/NAV might not work right as it came in the NSW package 2003, so i have to clean sweep it from the NSW first. manually uninstalling the norton packages seems a real hassel, yet we live and learn dont we, thats the fun huh

last time i got a tek tip it took awhile to get back to rate the reply as i ended up formatting my HD (which is apparently not all glued back together again), live and learn

hope to return quicker this time to rate your reply

short ski's and a double matrix door spin might work

I'm with Mulga on this one. I can't think why IE6.0 should revert to an earlier version or why Norton has to be uninstalled.

It sounds as though you are attempting to boot to the original setup of your PC, a formidable task, good luck.

What are you trying to achieve with a clean boot? Regards
Phil

that was Symantec's solution to my problem.

Since i formatted my HD so that i could begin clean when first loading Norton's Firewall and Systemworks, now I:
-cant create desktop shortcuts from webpages
-problem downloading files, e.g. a driver for my BJ-100 printer or Canoscan (the download repeatedly has missing files, had no problem prior doing this and yes i turn off my firewall, but on 2nd thought, i dont disable the AutoProtect on NSW)
-can't enable password protect for firewall

to clarify, ANYTHING i save to my desktop, never gets there. My File Manager shows only the folder that doesnt get saved to my desktop, doesn't list my desktop items that are visable

the symantec tech said i have a corrupt program installation as well as a conflict between the Norton Firewall and my device drivers i am trying to download.

He suggested that I uninstall (manually) the Firewall adn the Systemworks and the AntiVirus, clean boot Win98, install my hardware and reinstall the firewall and systemworks

He emailed me an 8 step process (plus followup links)totalling 30 pages of instructions, including changing/deleting/restoring my registry keys, purging my recyclebin, removing Run and RunServices values, deleting .vxd/.dll/.log/.txt/.bats files/folders/, SymCleanin-ing NAV from NSW

and a note that I might need to upgrade again my IE6SP after all this before reinstalling the software

....i'm getting the feeling that after all this i will wish that my only problem was printing and downloading files

Norton utilities (all of them) are great when they work. Unfortunately that is not often enough in my opinion. They are very prone to conflicts with other utilities and some games, desktop enhancements etc etc. Thats why I never recomment Norton to home users, the apps are fine in an office environment where only a limited amount of mainstream software is being used but for anybody that experiments with programs to any extent they are bad news. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

yes i see now what u mean

I've used the NAV fine in thepast but since getting dsl i upgraded to full pack
systemworksNSW/anti virusNAV/firewallNPF

some features didnt work upon first installling NSW and i see that i might lose others in trying to fix those

then what to replace NAV and NPF, zone alarm and which A-Virus?and do you think a simple remove/uninstall the norton or have they rooted into my socks

by the way, dont know why, all of a sudden my desktop shortcut icons are now popping up on my desktop, the ones i;ve been creating but with no results...still its not the full graphic icon, rather the IElogo with the webpage name, and yes i can create shortcuts but i cant download a simple driver for the BJ printer, incomplete file download, didnt have that problem before the Norton

thankyou for your reply

If you are looking for a virus scanner that works well, is fast and does not suffer from conflict problems overly much I would recommend Trend Micro's PC-cillin. I know it will work with Zone Alarm but it also has its own built in firewall. It is not as full featured as ZA but saves having an extra program and it works well. I do not recommend system management utilities such as System Works, they all tend to cause as many problems as they fix. If you must have something like this configure it so it is not running all the time but just start it when you want it. Personally I am very happy with just a virus scanner and firewall. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

yes i understand what you mean. NAV/NPF would've been fine but it came with all the other stuff in NSW. how difficult you think it would be to install a different antiviurs and firewall over the existing norton products, conflicts?

You must uninstall NAV first or at the very least disable it. Never have two or more virus scanners running at once, you are just asking for trouble. Same goes for firewalls. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back