Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correcting Reverse DNS Lookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpalmer

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US

Thoughout our company there is one domain that people send to that they receive NDR's back. I have researched this and found it to be a problem of "Performing Reverse DNS Lookups". The company that we send to has this option checked on there end, which is causing emails to be rejected.

Does anyone know of a way to correct this problem on our end? I have discussed it with the other company and they are not going to uncheck the "Perform Reverse DNS Lookups" box.

Both parties are using Exchange 2000/Windows 2000

We had exactly the same problem. We resolved this by getting the company that provide our internet service (this may not necessarily be your isp) to add a ptr record for our mail server. If you go to and put in your domain it will show you the reverse dns entries for mx records. Once this is done recipient servers performing reverse lookups will not bounce your mail.

Darren97, thanks for this, I have been having the same problem. I am having our ISP do this now, hopefully our problems will cease...

Rgds

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back