Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct term for your parents describing the parents of your spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB
I've just been filling in a form on behalf of my dad, and one of the questions needed an address to send paperwork to. If I was filling in the form as me, I would have put the address and stated that it was my mother-in-law's address.

Obviously, filling the form in as my dad, it would not be correct to say it was his mother-in-law's address (although perhaps if I was from Norwich instead of Bury St Edmunds, both might be true ;-))

Anyway - I must admit to not knowing the correct term that either of one's parents would use to refer to either of one's spouse's parents... so a quick trip to Wikipedia was in order.

Without looking it up, how many people know the correct term? (hint: while using 'in-laws' might be generic enough for the form, it's not the answer I'm after!)

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
[blue]@[/blue] Twitter: twitter.com/SleepyDrunkDan

The Out Atheism Campaign

Parents-in-law.
I'd expect.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
My home page

That would be true if it were from my point of view, in the same way that mother-in-law or father-in-law would be true from my point of view.

From my dad's point of view, a parent-in-law would be a grandparent-in-law from my point of view, and it's my mother-in-law that I was using as an example.

I can see this starting to need an explanation, much like the old "This man's father is my father's son" riddle :)

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
[blue]@[/blue] Twitter: twitter.com/SleepyDrunkDan

The Out Atheism Campaign

If I'm following this correctly the term is:

"My son's wife's mother".

Hi,
Or
"My Daughter-In-Law's mother"

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I speak of my son's/daughter's mother-in-law/father-in-law/parents-in-law frequently. It's perfectly acceptable.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Would that be "co-parent in-law"? Or, more specifically, "co-father in-law" or "co-mother in-law"?

That's the only one I've heard that comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back