Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct procedure for a full restore onto new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosschops1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2008
GB
Guys,
Could somebody please tell me the correct procedure for restoring a failed windows server.
Would the following work.
1. Re-install OS and bring up to patch level of the failed machine.
2. Rename to match failed server but don't join to domain.
3. Assign correct IP settings.
4. Install backup agent.
5. Restore all files plus system state from backup.
6. Reboot and join to domain.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Add TrueImage's Universal Restore to Lee's recommendation for restoration to dissimilar hardware.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. At the moment anything that involves extra cost is not an option.
We use BackupExec and CommVault. I must be be able to fully recover a server from a full backup from these vendors.
Cheers.

At the moment anything that involves extra cost is not an option.
+
I must be be able to fully recover a server from a full backup from these vendors.
=
Not Compatible.

If it's a business, and the data is important, then the extra cost has to be a possibility... if you don't already have something that's doing the job.

After all, if it costs you as much as $1,000 to $2,000 for the software, which I doubt it has to, isn't that worth less than a complete failure with no safe backup?

And I wouldn't be shocked if you could find the right solution for your specific needs for less than the $1,000 price point.

For home users, that's exorbitant, but if you're talking abotu a business, that's just CODB (cost of doing business).

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

So if a server dies and i need to buy a new one, is a full windows backup not enough to get the server back up as it was?

mosschops: it'll work, but there are extra steps involved without imaging software ie reinstalling the OS. with an image its a snapshot of everything on the server as it was the day you imaged it.. OS, drivers, softwares patches, updates, printer installs etc.

Some imaging software allows you to install the image on to different hardware, others dont. Which is what freestone is referring to i believe. TrueImage's Universal Restore allows you to install, for example an image from a dell 2950 on a dell 1900. Doing some modifications to the drivers used.

Correct me if im wrong anyone..

wannaBgeeksquad,

Just curious, how did you come up with your name? Is there any story behind it? Or were you just trying to come up with a silly/funny name? [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Without proper imaging and restore software for Windows the restoring of a Windows system onto dissimilar hardware can be a major headache. It can take a long time and much trial and error to follow the various MS Technet articles.

Backup/Exec does have it's own bare metal restore facility (at extra cost).

I would suggest trying to get your hands on an old server and trying to restore your system onto it - just to prove to yourself how difficult or easy it may be.

This is where the likes of VMware (and other virtual machine systems) win hands down. Talking an image of a VMware virtual machine and then restoring onto another VMware virtual machine works brilliantly as the underlying "virtual" hardware does not change.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back