Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corporate politics vs. "getting the job done" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

halapins

MIS
Jun 29, 2000
US
To all:
I am a relatively new employee within a Technical Services department in a large corporation. I am having tremendous difficulty dealing with the “Corporate Culture” in this environment. I can’t seem to get co-operation from my colleagues and support from management on my issues. In my entire 25+ years in this industry, I can honestly say that I’ve never dealt with individuals quite like these. There are four individuals exclusive of myself involved in my current Catch 22. One is my direct supervisor, the other three are managers.
Recently, I had my direct supervisor reprimand me for not bringing the issue of my difficulties to anyone’s attention. Apparently, two of the other individuals complained to her that I’m not getting the job done, and that I’d not informed them of my difficulties. I have e-mail dating from June '01 up through November '01 requesting information from colleagues regarding completion dates of prerequisite work, detail of issues I’d encountered, and a request for additional resources I’d require to finish this work on a timely basis. Unfortunately, answers from my colleagues regarding contingent completion dates were continually changed, vague or unanswered. The very people who are now complaining turned down my requests for additional resources.

I feel that my reputation has been unfairly compromised. I’ve been quite open with status of the project. Any suggestions as to how to deal with problems like this without appearing defensive ? How do I keep this from happening in the future?

When you communicate with this individuals by email, copy the others. If your receive no responses for your requests, reply, and review your previous email, and state that you have not had a reply from them. No one will be able to complain they are int he dark.

I was a legal assistant for 16 years, and learned from attornys how to make a paper trial.

I would also be sure to tag a return receipt on any emails that contain or request critical information/approval/etc. That way, nobody can say "they never saw it". The documentation trail is going to be crucial to your survival here.

It may take some unpleasantness but after whacking these guys once or twice in the head with the truth (and it may have to be done at a meeting in front of other managers - hopefully not, though), you'll at least have fear and/or respect going for you. I've been in similar situations, and they're absolutely no fun. But you'll have to bear in mind that these people are NOT going to be your friends, so you might as well get them trained to at least pay attention to you. I feel your pain.

Copying everyone is the best way to cover your backside. Not only do you make sure everyone knows what's going on, but you also put the non-helpful, non-responsive contingent on notice that the higher levels of the corporate food chain are kept informed of progress, or the lack thereof. Create a folder for each project you are e-mailing about, and keep copies of the e-mails you send, as well as copies of the replies you receive. Then, should you need it, the documentation is all in one place, where you can find the entire trail for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back